Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Guest Post - Kate Belle

I "met" Kate Belle through a writing group on Facebook, and I'm darn glad that I did. She's witty, clever and a heck of a nice person. And did I mention that she writes the pants off almost anyone? Especially her characters, of course!

So please give a warm hand (or two) to the lovely Kate Belle!

-----


Writing Sex – it’s a devil of a job
There’s a thing called ‘over exposure’. In photography terms it means all the colour is washed out of the image because there’s too much light. In emotional terms it means you’ve simply had too much of something and you can’t focus on it or raise an interest in it anymore.
I’ve experienced ‘over exposure’ when I’ve discovered music I love and played it so much I actually start to feel a bit sick when I hear it. And I’ve experienced it with certain individuals with certain irritating habits. And I’ve discovered I can also experience it with erotica.
It’s tragic, because I’m an erotic fiction addict, so I simply can’t stop reading it, even though I my mind is screaming ‘ENOUGH ALREADY’. It seems some part of my tired mind has had its fill of panty ripping, buttock slapping, tongue probing, hooded stares, ramming cocks, smouldering kisses, and slippy slidey fun in general. And, worse, the affliction of ‘erotic over exposure’ is having an inconvenient side effect. It seems I’m a bit tired of writing erotica – which is a big problem as that is my forte genre.
The truth is, just like actually doing the deed, as a writer I need to be in the right mood to write sex. And if I’m feeling preoccupied, busy, frumpy, tired, or I’ve been over exposed to sexy stuff, I can’t be bothered with my fictional characters getting it on, any more than I can be bothered getting it on in my own bedroom. I’d rather they sit down with a warm mug of Milo and shoot the breeze about the weather (or something). The moment my characters get to the inevitable sensual touching part of the story I want to get up to make a cup of tea and say, ‘You guys get on with it, I’ll be back in 20 minutes when you’re done.’
But when writing is your pay cheque, you can’t walk away from the financial imperative to keep doing it. And if erotica is part of your soul, as it is with mine, you must face the fact that even if the flesh is weak, the mind is still very willing, and once I sit down at my desk I know that the prose will turn to the sensual, whether I want it to or not. 
What is an erotic writer to do? The answer is simple. Get on with it. So I put on some sexy music (latin, classical or slow blues), log into my favourite Facebook group of erotic writers and check out today’s bevy of half naked, well cut, handsome men and, when I’m appropriately inspired, open my latest WIP and jump into bed with my characters. Tough gig you think? Ah – it’s a living!
-----

The Yearning
It’s 1978 in a country town and a dreamy fifteen year old girl’s world is turned upside down by the arrival of the substitute English teacher. Solomon Andrews is beautiful, inspiring and she wants him like nothing else she’s wanted in her short life. 
Charismatic and unconventional, Solomon easily wins the hearts and minds of his third form English class. He notices the attention of one girl, his new neighbour, who has taken to watching him from her upstairs window. He assumes it a harmless teenage crush, until the erotic love notes begin to arrive.
Solomon knows he must resist, but her sensual words stir him. He has longings of his own, although they have nothing to do with love, or so he believes. One afternoon, as he stands reading her latest offering in his driveway, she turns up unannounced. And what happens next will torment them forever – in ways neither can imagine.

Buy links:
Local independent bookshops: (http://www.truelocal.com.au/find/book-shop/)
-----
About the author
Kate Belle has published two erotic novellas (Breaking the Rules and Bloom) with Random House’s Random Romance digital imprint and her controversial novel, The Yearning, has been released as an ebook (1 April) and in print (1 May) through Simon & Schuster.
She lives, loves and writes in Melbourne where she lives with her high maintenance husband and daughter and a menagerie of neurotic pets. You can catch up with her on her blog, The Ecstasy Files, a light hearted look at love and lust, or on Twitter or Facebook.
Other books by Kate Belle:
Master of Love series featuring the charismatic and masterful lover, Ramon Mendez, changing women’s lives in and out of the bedroom.

4 comments:

Kate Belle said...

Thanks for having me guys. Enjoying those warm hands! x

Donna Gallagher said...

Hi Kate,

Great post. I find if I haven't found the time to read I'm not very productive with my own writing.

Cheers
Donna

Maggie Nash said...

Hi Kate!

I remember the way I got myself into the mood for the very first hot sex scene that I wrote...and this was just a strip show - voyeuristic, but not actual sex! I waited until no one else was home. I put Ravel's Bolero on the CD player (cliche I know!)lit a few incense sticks - you know the ones...sandalwood, pachouli...and then I wrote it. Red faced and all LOL.

Kate Belle said...

I know, Maggie & Donna. Sometimes we need a nice warm up before the run! X thanks for visitng