Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Willsin Interviews Katie


I decided it was time to find out more about my co-author, and Las Vegas's favourite vampire chick, Katie Salidas. And what better way than through discussion of our first co-writing project, Patience?


*****

Q: When I came to you with the rough (VERY rough) first draft of “Patience”, I basically begged you to help me make it work. What was it about that uncut stone that made you believe we could polish it into a gem?

A: See now Willsin, you don’t give yourself enough credit. When you came to me with the idea of Patience it wasn’t all that rough. I could clearly see the gem of a story it was and instantly became excited about the idea. The things that woman could teach him with a tictac!!!! Who wouldn’t want to jump on that story?

Q: All your previous titles have been self-published. What differences have you noticed this time around, going with an established publisher in Excessica?

A: Honestly, as a self-publisher, I am used to doing all the work myself. It’s hard for me to give up a little bit of control. I’m kind of OCD in that respect. But it does have its benefits. Working with you and with Excessica has been smoother. It’s nice to work with a publisher that has the know-how and the ability to push books out quickly and efficiently. The true benefit though is the wider reach they have. That’s a very nice thing.

Q: Until “Patience”, all your fiction works, including erotica, have featured vampires. Do you feel like this work might surprise some of your existing fan base?

A: Initially, yes. Most people are used to associating me with paranormal, but I don’t think that will pose any real problem. Once they get a taste of what we have in store for them, not only will they be ready for our next short erotic piece, but they’ll be checking you out to see what other treats you have in store too, Willsin.

Q: You have a rapidly growing horse – sorry, baby – in your family now. I know he’s having a massive impact on your time. So how do you still find the time to write and edit?

A: LoL. You know, I was joking with someone the other day about my boy. When we go to a restaurant, the wait staff don’t offer me a highchair for him. He’s so big they mistake him for a toddler. I have to warn them not to give him crayons either. “He’s only 8 months old, he’ll just try to eat them.”
He does take up quite a bit of time, and so does my daughter. She’s 8 years old. This summer has been a slow period for me. Most of my writing, editing, critiquing, revising, marketing, and cover art shopping all has to be done between the hours of 9pm (when the kids are in bed) and whenever I pass out at my computer. Baby boy still isn’t sleeping through the night, so the sleep I do get is broken and only a couple hours at a time. It’s rough, but I love my family and I love writing so I am making it work as best as possible.
You want to know the secret….
Mainlining caffeine! LoL!

Q: The main pressure point in “Patience” is the younger man/older woman pairing. So with that in mind, are there any pretty young men out there in the wide world who you’d like the chance to...educate?

A: Oh dear. I always feel so dirty thinking about those hot young studs in Hollywood right now. Taylor Lautner is the first that comes to mind and though he’s of age, he’s more than 10 years younger than me. I feel like such a bad girl even thinking about it. =) But, if given the chance… I’d play teacher.

*****

I tells ya, it was a whole lot of fun writing this story with Katie. And the really fun thing now is that we're just getting started. Stay tuned for our upcoming October 5 release, "Slowpoke".

No comments: