Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Between the Sheets with Erotica Author, Keta Diablo


We're big on caffeine here at CFE, so what's your favorite drink with a kick? What's your guilty pleasure?

Keta Diablo: I’m a huge coffee drinker, but I don’t much of a kick unless you consider cream a “kick”.  My son read an article to me last night about how good coffee is for you medically. “I just knew it,” I said. According to the article, it’s good for your liver, your intestines and fights diabetes. Who woulda thought? I love Starbucks, hang out there all the time while I write.

What drew you to this genre?

Keta Diablo: Actually I write in several genres, erotic romance, gay fiction and once in a great while fantasy. I love all three genres, with a particular soft spot toward erotic historical. I’m drawn to that genre because I lurve real-life stories and many of my historicals are based around true historical events.

What's your favorite subgenre in Erotica? (eg. BDSM, LGBT, Paranormal, etc.)

Keta Diablo: Oh, yes, I also write erotic romance/paranormal, and that would be my second favorite. Very often, I combine historical with the paranormal and I’m double-thrilled! My most recent release, Where The Rain Is Made, is a historical paranormal and is themed around real events of the Cheyenne Dog Soldier. WTRIM has won many awards, Top Reviewer Picks, Recommended Reads and Best Book of the Month at top review sites. In addition, WTRIM was recently nominated for a Bookie Award by Authors After Dark in the BEST ebook category.
More about Where The Rain Is Made here: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Rain-Made-ebook/dp/B0041847FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299644710&sr=8-1

How long have you been writing? 

Keta Diablo: I’ve written all my life in one form or other, but didn’t start getting serious about it until six years ago. What I mean is I’ve always written historical type family stories, and then decided to write a fictional historical about six years ago.

Please describe your writing environment.



Keta Diablo: In the summer, my writing environment is wonderful. I’ve enclosed a picture that looks very similar to the cottage I live in on a lake. We have six acres of woods surrounding us with a small environmental lake on the property. There’s a lot to look at, owls, eagles, loons (the winged version) and it’s very peaceful. In the winter, I write inside because we live in the snowy Midwest.

What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both?

Keta Diablo: I think about a story in my mind for weeks, allow it to germinate. When I’ve gone through all the scenes, conversations and even what they wear, I sit down to write. I never make outlines, but I might use note cards to remind me of certain items or scenes I want in the book. I guess you would call me a seat-of-the-pants- writer then.”

Do you have a ritual when it comes to writing? Example….get coffee, blanket, paper, pen and a comfy place?

Keta Diablo: I do all my writing on my laptop and use my PC for other things, storing files, backup that sort of thing. I rarely use pen and paper, although those are on my list of favorite things—stationary and pens.

Stilettos: Sexy or not?

Keta Diablo: Not for me. I’m a jeans and t-shirt girl, with sneakers. If I must get dressed up (sigh) I would never choose stilettos. I’d probably kill myself in them.

Do you have anything special you do to get into the writing mood?

Keta Diablo: I spend so much time on the lap top. I’m accustomed to writing or promoting about 12 hours a day, every day. I make sure I have fresh coffee, sometimes chocolate and a clear mind (hahaha on the last one). I do break for lunch and take a half an hour to exercise. Well, not what you probably call exercise, but I either walk outside or devote the time to my Chi machine (you can Google that, then you’ll know).

Does this make my butt look big?



Keta Diablo: Nope. Okay, here’s my funny butt picture.


What’s been the most challenging part of writing erotica, for you?

Keta Diablo: To get all the stories done I have in my head. I need a clone – desperately need a clone, preferably one who comes pre-programmed with excellent writing skills so he/she can help me.

Where won't you go with erotica? What are your taboo’s?

Keta Diablo: Hmm. I don’t object to other people writing certain words, but I have a few I won’t use. To me the words represent a derogatory way to speak to women when men are mad or upset. You know what word/words I’m talking about. And no, I can’t recall anyone calling me those names, but I loath them. I’d like to think of a name women could use for a great comeback, but saying, “Well, you know what you are? You’re a penis,” just doesn’t have the same impact.  

Erotica has the ability to be as sweet or as raunchy as one wants. Where do you feel your work fits in the spectrum?

Keta Diablo: In the middle. There are many ways to present erotica or erotic romance. Sometimes it’s just as much of a turn on to use sexual tension. I think readers are very astute, and they have vivid imaginations. We need to give them credit for that. I also think some readers get real tired of reading page after page of sex. So you won’t find that in my books. For me, the plot or story comes first, the sex second.

What is the hardest part of writing a sex scene?

Keta Diablo: Not to be repetitive, but I guess that goes for the entire book. I might think of a phrase or something I want to write that fits the scene and I have to stop and think, “Hey, did I use that in Decadent Deceptions or Land of Falling Stars?” I have 20 books out now, and it gets harder to keep all the characters and the plots straight. Authors should be very conscious of writing new, fresh material and not the same old, same old.

Do you ever have issues with the language, specifically when referring to anatomical parts? I mean how many ways can one really say dick or pussy without it getting a little old? Are there any terms you refuse to use or, on the flip side, are their words that are your go-to words simply for the shock value?

Keta Diablo: Right, see above. I don’t want to use euphemisms but there are only so many names for a man’s dick, right?  The same with a woman’s sex. I don’t get turned on by a man blowing dirty words in my ear, but if he comes into the bedroom half-naked with a rose between his teeth . . . I’m his.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?


Keta Diablo: Thank you so much for asking. I’m about to release Sojourn With A Stranger, an erotic historical set five years after the Civil War. This too is a paranormal with the theme of ghosts. The erotic part comes in when a servant agrees to bear the lord of the manor’s child in exchange for money. I’ve attached the video and that captures the essence quite well.



Watch for the release between March 26th and March 30th.
I just finished an anthology with three wonderful authors, Stacey Kennedy, Amber Scott and Elise Hepner called Kissed From Beyond. This is four paranormal stories involving ghosts, time travel, genies and cougars. We’ll release this book in March too.

And I’m almost finished with a story for the Seven Deadly Sins anthology with 6 authors. I think this will release around the first week of April and its’ been a lot of fun writing with the other authors. You can keep on eye on this blog for more information:  http://7deadlies.blogspot.com/p/7-sins-series.html

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Keta Diablo: Yes: “Are you sure you want to write a novel? I mean, are you really, really sure? Because it’s very hard work and little sleep if you plan to make money at this.” If they answer yes, I would tell them to stop putting it off, put your butt in the chair and write. It’s not easy. I know many reviewers or readers think it is, but it’s not. See two sentences up: It’s very hard work, and so many things have to come together to write a good book. At least for me. I have to be in good physical health, and hopefully in the right place with my mind.  And then pray the words will come. If I’m sick or thinking about going to the lake, my writing shows I’m distracted.  I can’t begin to tell you how many times I hit the delete button and then bang my head on the desk. During those times, I think a 4th grader can write better than me. There’s a lot of second-guessing, self-doubt and that’s because the book you think they will love, they don’t. The book you’re feeling queasy about, they love.

Thank you so much for inviting me to Coffee Fueled Erotica. Lovely blog, and I enjoyed the questions.
You can find me on the net at the following places:
Author home: http://www.ketadiablo.com
Erotic Romance Blog: http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ketadiablo
My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keta-Diablo/88641942024?v=wall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.

Vampirique Dezire said...

Hi there, just letting you know that I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. Just pop over to my blog and you can collect it from there.
Vampirique Dezire
http://vampiriquedezire.blogspot.com