Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Between the Sheets Interview with Author Sommer Marsden


We're big on caffeine here at CFE, so what's your favorite drink with a kick? What's your guilty pleasure?

Sommer: Coffee. Straight up. No froof and no fancy names. I like very strong coffee with a bark and a bite and I like it with raw sugar and real half and half or cream. No milk!

What drew you to this genre?

Sommer: My libido. Am I allowed to say that? LOL. Basically, I fell ass backwards into erotica and erotic romance. I was trying to be a mystery writer. I failed.

What's your favorite subgenre in Erotica? (eg. BDSM, LGBT, Paranormal, etc.)

Sommer: I used to say I’d write about any subgenre but paranormal. Because it scared me. Now about 70% of my work is paranormal. Go figure.

How long have you been writing?

Sommer: Full-time since 2005. But I’ve been writing all my life. Seriously since college. Publishable since my mid-twenties. Obsessively for six years now.

Please describe your writing environment.
Heh. Small, cluttered, full of stuff I love. Things that inspire me. But I’m on a laptop so it can change on a whim and often does.



WOW look how neat and pretty your writing area is!! You don’t want to see the garbage heap that is my desk. =p. Ok moving on though (don’t want to get too far off topic.) What is your writing process? Do you outline, fly by the seat of your pants or a combination of both?

Sommer: The seat of my pants has holes I fly by it so often. Outlines are very very VERY minimal like:
He goes to store
Sex
He goes home
Sex
Fire!
Save her!
That is an outline for me. Seriously.

Do you have a ritual when it comes to writing? Example….get coffee, blanket, paper, pen and a comfy place?

Sommer: Get coffee, make children breakfast, think of story, check email while children eat, open document, check email check email check email, check twitter, facebook, review sites, goodreads, order children to make lunches. Walk around. Check email, write a page, talk to the dog, kiss kids goodbye…

This is very boring isn’t it?

Basically, my ritual is write a page and do something else. Write a page and do something else. That goes on until either until I hit 2K minimum for the day or my brain gets tired. It could be 2K, it could be 12. I just have to give my short attention span time to roam. It’s the roaming that allows my mind to fill in the gaps to the story so I can plunk down and write another page.

Stilettos: Sexy or not?

Sommer: If you are on your back (or knees), sexy. If you are walking around, not so much. At least not on me. I tend to fall down a lot.

Do you have anything special you do to get into the writing mood?

Sommer: I wake up.

Fair enough. Ok, on to some harder questions… Does this make my butt look big? I mean really? Be honest!



Sommer: Yeeeeeeeeees!



What’s been the most challenging part of writing erotica, for you?

Sommer: Keeping my characters from just banging their way through the whole book. I tend to like the sex scenes. A lot.

Where won't you go with erotica? What are your taboo’s?

Sommer: Hmm. I think the standard industry taboos are echoed in my personal ones. No kids, no animals (barring shifters, duh), no abuse, no pain against someone’s will. I’m sex positive, but at the end of the day, everyone should be happy. The dom, the sub, top, bottom, whatever. The point is, no one should be hurt.

Erotica has the ability to be as sweet or as raunchy as you like it. Where do you feel your work fits in the spectrum?

Sommer: All over the spectrum. I have been so intense that big time agents have cut me from the book proposal. I have been touted for being super funny. I think you could find a variation on tone, humor, intensity and style if you picked up random stories/books of mine. I make it a point to not write the same thing over and over and over again. One book might be darker where another one will make even me laugh out loud when I’m trying to edit. I have no fixed place. And I’m happy about it!

What is the hardest part of writing a sex scene?

Sommer: To me, there’s nothing really hard about the sex scenes. I find them the easiest part of the book.

Do you ever have issues with the language, specifically when referring to anatomical parts? I mean how many ways can one really say dick or pussy without it getting a little old? Are there any terms you refuse to use or, on the flip side, are their words that are your go-to words simply for the shock value?

Sommer: I use them all. I much prefer the straight forward words to sheath and shaft and all that jazz. Those evasive words pull me out of the flow of the story. The word pussy or cock do not. A lot of places don’t like dick (heh) so when I write those stories , I do feel a wee bit repetitive. Like cock…cock…cock… I feel like I should add a-doodle-doo! But in general, I prefer the blatant words, if you will.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Sommer: Current work is a mainstream as the original me—dark , gritty crime fiction (that may end up sucking). I just wrapped up a paranormal, though. A vampire, werewolf, human love triangle I said I’d never do. Until the damn characters started talking to me. I also just turned in a zombie book. So hey! All over the spectrum, see 

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Sommer: Write. Every day. Write.

Well, there you have it folks. A peek into the mind of author Sommer Marsden. And what a prolific writer she is too! Why not check out some of her current titles?











11 comments:

Cassie Exline said...

Great interview. Although I think Summer stole my outline. lol Let's top off our coffee cups and pass the donuts. Great looking books out. I love Sommer's paranormal stories.

Sommer Marsden said...

LOL. Why am I not surprised that you outline similarly, Cass?

thanks my lovely interviewer for the great questions. they were fun :)

xoxo
S

Cassie Exline said...

Dirty minds really do think alike! Your interviewer did an excellent job.

Jordan LaRousse said...

"I have been so intense that big time agents have cut me from the book proposal." Hmmm...that sounds familiar...I'm glad we got "A Technicality" into the Nice Girls, Naughty Sex anthology! That is still one of my all time favorite erotica stories. :)

Great interview!! So funny!

Jordan

Sommer Marsden said...

lol. only a few people get that reference and you're one. i can't wait to see that story in print and thanks for popping in. :)

XOXO
S

Sonny said...

Great interview, Sommer. I like the way you think, and write.

Cora Zane said...

Doodle-doo! XD

What a great interview! I'm totally checking out your writer's space, Sommer. Very neat! ^_^

Sommer Marsden said...

Thanks, Sonny (you are v. sweet) and Cora. Neat as in cool or neat as in tidy? I have to keep it tidy or I can't find squat. As you can see, barely room to move! LOL. I think that's probably a good thing given when I had a bigger desk it lookedl like the paper and clutter fairy had visited. on a daily basis (O_O)

xoxo
S

Katie Salidas said...

Sommer, it was great having you pop in for an interview even if you did say my butt looked big =p . I'll just have to turn the other cheek.

Looking forward to diving into your books. They are definitely on my TBR list.

Sommer Marsden said...

I didn't say that. the horse did. and he is a teeny tiny little horse. X-D

Katie Salidas said...

LoL yes, and that butt picture was pretty big. Ha!