Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Grass Is Always Greener...

It’s such an old saying now, but it’s never going to stop being true. At least in my case.

Throughout most of my days, whatever I’m doing, I find myself thinking about writing. I may be at my day job. Riding my motorbike. Mowing the lawn. Whatever it is, I’m usually thinking about a story or simply looking forward to the moment when I can sit and write.

Until that moment arrives, when a bone-deep lethargy often hits me. Because it’s usually the end of the day and I’m shagged.
Then there’s the other really stupid problem. Like almost every writer, I have a whole bunch of stories rolling around in my noggin. One of my major obstacles is not just sorting out which one to write, but making sure that none of the other stories pop up like a scantily-clad temptress and woo me away.

When I’m not writing, writing is almost all I can think about. Then, when I am writing, other writing is almost all I can think about. I have a really juicy vampire story which I’m aching to create, and I have a whole lot of stuff worked out for. But I keep putting obstacles in the way. At the time of writing this blog, I’m still in the Smut Marathon (but that may change fairly soon!) There’s an anthology which I’ve been asked to contribute to. There is a stuttering stream of cover art to create. Trailers. Band practice. Gigs. Life.

But more than anything else, it’s other writing that blocks me from writing. I don't mean any of this in a whiney, "poor me", "it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll" kinda way. I guess I'm just sounding off about why I have such a low output.

So I'm announcing here and now: 2011 will see a novel-length story by Willsin Rowe. And a novella-length. And, for shits and giggles, a minimum of 3 stories in anthologies. There. Sorted.

Now...just gotta write the buggers...

4 comments:

Madeline Elayne said...

Good luck! I have the exact same issue. Too many characters in my head clamoring for attention! What I need is a way to tie them all up and gag them so that they're out of the way until I need to take them out and use them up. Sadly, I think far too many of my characters would like this so much that their moans of pleasure might drive me dostraction. Ah, the life of a smutter!

*sigh*

Katie S said...

You can do it! I have complete faith in you. Even with all of your distractions it can be done. Remember what you told me about 500 wpd?

I'll help cheer you on.

Go Willsin Go!

Willsin Willsin
he's our man
If he can't do it
No one can!

=)

Craig Sorensen said...

One of my major obstacles is not just sorting out which one to write, but making sure that none of the other stories pop up like a scantily-clad temptress and woo me away.

Yeah, I get that a lot. And I give in to those scantily-clad temptresses, too. A lot.

All the best on your reaching those goals!

Willsin Rowe said...

Thank you, beautiful people. I knew I wasn't the only one who would (mostly fail to) work this way. But it's nice to hear people say it out loud...well, type it out loud anyway. I heard your keyboards clacking...