Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Ask and you shall receive

I started writing because I couldn't find the stories I wanted to read. I had plots in my head but I looked everywhere and I couldn't find them. I know, crazy huh? I therefore decided I should just write them myself. All right so maybe that was a bit drastic, but it worked.

Even to this day, I only write what I want to read. I just find it easier that way. I also often reread my own books, because hey, I love those characters!

Have you ever thought of asking an author to write what you wanted to read? For example, if you're reading a series and you want the heroine to end up with one character over another, would you email that person and tell her your preferences?

I've always thought it would be cool if you could ask a favorite author to write on a specific topic or come up with your own plot they could then play with. So, questions:
- Fellow authors, if you received an email asking you to please write about such and such, or telling you that this character should fall in love with X or Y in the next book, would you be willing to do it?
- Fellow readers, have you ever considered doing such a thing?

My answer:
- I've received fan mail before telling me which guy one of my heroines should fall in love with. I always take them into account, although not always in the way they'd intended. Sometimes, I like pleasing people and that's what I end up writing. Sometimes, I like surprising readers so I'll try to find a plot twist that will be entirely different to what they're expecting to happen in the book.

No comments: