Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Challenges

Both Willsin and I are taking part in Alison Tyler's Smut Marathon. It's a highly entertaining series of writing challenges, but two things are making it a bit more difficult: one, you have to write according to a theme (last time, it was 'Twist'), and two, you only have 250 words.

250 words! Do you know how short that is? Of course, you do.
I never really realized until I wrote my first draft and noticed I was over. WAY over. As in 'cut several paragraphs and all those sentences that looked so damn good' over.

It's made me realize that I do write a lot. I usually never have plots, mostly because I can never adhere to them. I just write whatever goes through my head, which means those contests are easy in a way. I always find something to say.
The most challenging part however is to manage to write an entire story with such a small amount of words. I like my stories to have a beginning, middle and end. A satisfying conclusion, you might say. But as these are smut, you also need sex in them.
In 250 words!

Yes, I know I'm repeating myself, but do you see the problem here?
They have to stick to the theme and word count, be interesting/challenging/fun, have some hot sex thrown in, and most of all, they need to be well-written.
What did we get ourselves into?!

2 comments:

Willsin Rowe said...

I hear ya, Em. I'm a waffler myself, at least until about the fourth draft. But I'm sure you're finding it a good fun challenge. I really enjoyed your Twist story, too. Fine line between love and hate indeed...

Rozlyn Sparks said...

I don't know how you two do it. 250 words is so small!!! But I know you both are awesome writers. You can do it!!!