Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

True or false

I know I've discussed this before (I'm persistent, what can I say?), but something keeps bugging me.

We've already established that erotica authors have not all experienced/experimented what they write about. There would be a lot more threesomes around the world otherwise!
But seriously, am I the only one who gets annoyed at badly described sex scenes? I know we write fantasy, but I need a dose of reality in my books. Some things just do not feel that good...and reading the contrary just makes me wonder about the rest of the plot or the characters.

I would also like to know from our male bloggers/followers whether what authors write in the male/hero's POV always work. For example, have they ever thought "I'd never do/say that"? Most erotica authors are women, so it'd be interesting to know if we get it wrong once in a while. I know I'd like to know (for future reference!) if I made my hero do something that was entirely too out there for a man...or just plain wrong!
So, what do you say, guys?

3 comments:

Willsin Rowe said...

Well now..."Man Frame" is my third-in-line for books to read, so I'll have to get back to you on your own writing, Emma.
I've seen a few examples where men have been written in a reasonably female way. They know just the right words to say, and they listen to their women carefully and understand them first time...now tell me, does that EVER happen? I hasten to add that those examples have all been in print, and in erotica which is in the "by women, for women" category.

Rozlyn Sparks said...

You know I hope more men speak up. I'd like to hear their opinion on this. Women erotica writers do the best we can but there is no way we can truly know the inner workings of the male mind. Just as men cannot truly know the inner workings of the female mind.

I know erotica is more for women, but do the men appreciate it too? Do they feel they are accurately portrayed or just portrayed the way a woman wants to see them. Of course the flip side of this is, do we really want reality in our erotic fantasy? Let's face it there is a lot of flatulance, burping and insensitivity that come with real men. LoL.

No offence to any males present, just adding a little comical viewpoint here. Women are not all princesses either. =p

Rebecca said...

I always ask my male friends - or I go by how men I've known behaved. Sometimes they can be more mushy and sappy romantic than a woman - and they're heterosexual. lol. I also knew a man into erotica, wrote erotic poetry for the most part and it he utilized language for body parts that wasn't 'nasty'. Then there's the matter of the orgasm. I read an article somewhere, years ago - that they interviewed 50 men and 50 women and asked them to describe an orgasm. Nameless/genderless - all 100 descriptions could not really distinguish the difference of feeling by gender.
The rest of how a male character is either learned behavior or that "fantasy" of what "women want" (I use a lot of quotes since I don't quite follow the "typical female" role)