Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yay Us!

Anyone who regularly reads us here may have noticed a little something over to the left. There's a new cover up.

"Dirtyville: 13 Tales of Small Town Naughty" was released a bit over a week ago, and it features not one but two of the Coffee-Fueled team in its e-pages (Emma Hillman and yours truly).

I'm still in a state of delight to have my work sharing space with Ms. Hillman, and with other such luminaries as Scarlett Greyson, Alison Tyler and Sommer Marsden (who conceived, recruited, edited and published this lovely piece of smut).

I wasn't at all surprised at the quality of work the four aforementioned ladies produced. Each of their stories, though quite different from each other, was very well constructed and written.

The strict word limit for these stories was between 300 and 1,000. Normally, you'd think it near impossible to construct a story in that length, let alone create interesting characters to fill it. Normally, it is.

But in Emma's story, "Only On Sundays" I got a wonderful sense of who Jessica was...and who she might want to be as well. I could see the small town around these people, and the way their secrets would keep them all simmering...all day, all week...

Very nice work, Emma.

2 comments:

Emma Hillman said...

Yeah us indeed :) And thanks a lot for the lovely comments.

I must admit that as soon as I read Sommer's call for submissions, my mind went crazy and I wrote the whole thing in my head in a matter of minutes.

But you're right, Willsin, it's definitely not that easy to write a short piece. Building a world and characters that are believable in such a small amount of words is...well, let's just say, I ended up cutting quite a few paragraphs!

I loved your story too, especially its premise. I don't want to spoil it too much, but I could see the whole setting in my head very easily. Well done to you too!

Now I just need to stop thinking what I could do if I wrote around "Only on Sundays" to make it a novel-sized book. No, no, no. I don't need a new manuscript. Nope. But... NOPE.

Right. *clears throat*

Rozlyn Sparks said...

Congrat to the both of you for making it into the book. I can't wait to read all the stories.