Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Book recommendations

Morning all,

My apologies for the missed blog last week, but I wasn't feeling good and stayed home sick.
But, on to more interesting topics... I've done quite a bit of reading over the past weeks, so I thought I'd do some quick reviews.

- My new favorite author, Kristan Higgins, has a new book out, entitled 'The Next Best Thing' (@ HQN).

Blurb:

Lucy Lang isn't looking for fireworks.
She's looking for a nice, decent man. Someone who'll mow the lawn, flip chicken on the barbecue, teach their future children to play soccer. But most important: someone who won't inspire the slightest stirring in her heart…or anywhere else. A young widow, Lucy can't risk that kind of loss again. But sharing her life with a cat named Fat Mikey and the Black Widows at the family bakery isn't enough either. So it's goodbye to Ethan, her hot but entirely inappropriate "friend with privileges" and hello to a man she can marry.

Too bad Ethan Mirabelli isn't going anywhere. As far as he's concerned, what she needs might be right under her nose. But can he convince her that the next best thing can really be forever?


Review:

It's amazing how Kristan can make you feel every single emotion her heroines go through. That's an incredible talent right there. Even if you sometimes feel like slapping them, you still root for them and you yearn for that HEA. I loved this book, but beware, I had tears in my eyes every few pages. Okay, so I cried at the end too :)

- Stephanie Bond's Body Movers Series is a lot of fun. I'm currently reading the latest one, '6 Killer Bodies' (@ Mira), and I can't wait to see how it ends. You see, Books #4 to #6 are a trilogy amidst the series, and I really, really want to know who the killer is, damn it! I have ideas, of course, but who knows if I'm right?

Blurb (that won't make much sense if you haven't read the previous books!):

Carlotta Wren's world is crumbling beneath her well-shod feet. One of her closest friends has been arrested as the Charmed Killer, but Carlotta refuses to believe it. And to prove her friend's innocence, Carlotta goes against her boyfriend Peter's wishes and resumes her after-hours body-moving duties.
And then…

Peter pressures her for an answer to his proposal…
Her troubled brother Wesley goes missing…
And the madman stalking the city strikes again, this time a little too close to home.
But when Carlotta finds herself in the clutches of the Charmed Killer, is she destined for her own body bag?


Review:

I had a discussion about this series with my mother last night, as she was the one who urged me to buy them all in one go. I'm now ahead of her (ah ah!), but it's funny how we agreed on one thing: we prefer Jack. Who's with us?

- Oh, and if you're like me and you like a good erotica novel, complete with Rubenesque and BDSM elements, look no further than Melinda Barron's books. I'm slowly going through them all, but my favorite so far is 'Graceful Submission' (@ LooseId).
I dare you not to fall in love with Toffer!

On that note, I'm off to do some work. Amazing, I know.
Em x

PS: I also have a new blog! I'm trying to build it slowly but feel free to stop by and leave comments. I'll start running contests soon.

1 comment:

Secretia said...

I'll bet that she is looking for fireworks, cause we all are!

Secretia