Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Pets in writing

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I'm a huge pet lover.  I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 rats and 5 fish, and it seems that I continue to accumulate more and more as I go.  I love my pets.


Recently, although my writing has been seriously hindered by a bout of bad health, I've been trying to write more pets into my stories.  I love reading books that feature dogs, dolphins, and even rats.  My recent favorites are Dean Koontz's 'The Darkest Evening of the Year', a super good book about a golden retriever named Nickie, and Michelle Rowen's 'Angel With Attitude', which has a rat.  (The rat is really a guy who was cursed by his girlfriend, who is a witch).  But still, I thought of him as a rat all the way through the book, and I liked him better in that role.

You'd have to read it.


I remember reading 'Where the Red Fern Grows' by Wilson Rawls to my children when they were young, and thinking that it was the saddest story I'd ever read.  The kids cried their eyes out.  We all agreed that for some crazy reason, it's sadder to read about the death of a pet than the death of a human.  Maybe it's just the way the writer portrays it, but that was a sad, sad book.  I felt bad for having made my kids cry.  Still, it was an excellent book.

Dogs seem to be the most commonly written pets.  They's intelligent, fun and loving.  I really like to read about sea life, too.  Dolphins, sharks (not pet ones, but the kind you have to swim away from really fast), and whales are favorites.  If anybody knows of any good books that have any of the above, I'm open to recommendations.

Have a great 2010!

3 comments:

Secretia said...

Isn't it amazing that kids cry more over the death of a pet than a human!

Willsin Rowe said...

Here's a little Youtube clip about an "amazing" golden retriever, Charlie the Wonder Dog!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukqt7-2AGaE
I nearly wet myself as I watched it...I haven't seen it for years and it's a brilliant satire of the Lassie/Rin Tin Tin type of dog...I hope you can stand the awful acting and Australian accents...

Rozlyn Sparks said...

I don't know what it is, but I bawl like a little baby when pets die in stories.

I didn't read the book Marley and Me, I watched the movie. With my munchkin. Let's just say thank god she fell asleep before the end. I was a mess watching the end. So freaking sad. Ugh!