Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Influences

So I've been writing on this manuscript for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it. I love the male character. I love the premise. It's all going well, except for one thing.

You see, I've been reading quite a few erotica novels on my BlackBerry during my commute. It's not the best thing to read on a train, but it's fun! The problem is that the more BDSM novels I read, for example, the more my own hero is turning into a Dom. Seriously! It's like he's taken the reins and decided we needed to go that way.
So now, I've had to edit the whole manuscript, because things just weren't working out. And, I have no idea how the damn thing will end!
I'm telling you, he's a great character but it's quite clear he's a Dom. I have no control over my own story!

Have you ever been influenced by other people's writings like this? Do your characters tend to take over, like mine do?

Em x

2 comments:

Secretia said...

Everything I read becomes part resident in my brain.

Willsin Rowe said...

I don't think you can avoid being influenced, Em, especially if you're focusing on one genre. But it's certainly fun to wrestle with your characters, ain't it!