Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Waiting Game

Six months ago, I was on a roll.

I'd just finished 'Yes, No, Maybe' and I loved the characters so much that I started the sequel, aka Nick's story, straight away. It worked out fine for a while. I wrote 15K in a matter of weeks, words pouring out of my hands as I typed like a crazed woman.

And then, it stopped.

I tried rereading the manuscript, enjoying it even if I knew what was going to happen (isn't that always a good sign?!). I started the next chapter, only to delete the few paragraphs the next day. I reread the previous chapter. Again. And again. And again.

Nothing.

And then, what always happens with me happened: I had another premise idea. So I started a new manuscript. Finished it. Submitted it. Signed a contract, rejoiced, had another premise idea. Started it... Etc. Etc.

Until last month when I came back from holidays and I read the great review 'Yes, No, Maybe' had garnered. I guess it fueled my creative juices again, as I opened up the document (which had been gathering dust for months) and started writing.

It was like magic! In two weeks' time, or maybe even less, I finished the book and even wrote the synopsis.

And as of last night, 'Someone Like You' has found its home at eXcessica.
It will be published on 20 September 2010 (does it sound like in forever or what?).

Now, I just hope that waiting made it better!
Em, off to look at all the other unfinished manuscripts on her PC...If it worked for one, it might work for others!

4 comments:

Willsin Rowe said...

It's amazing what a trial separation can do for an author and their story. That's brilliant that you and Nick managed to reconcile and make such beautiful prose together.

Secretia said...

That's the way ideas work. They can't be totally manufactured at will. They "come" to us unscheduled.

Secretia

Jenna Alexander said...

Congrats! I love the cover!

Rozlyn Sparks said...

Sometimes distance is what is needed to get that perfect story penned. Glad it worked out!