Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Freudian slip

We all know what that is, but, playing the devils advocate, here is the definition.

A Freudian slip, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ('dynamically repressed') wish, conflict, or train of thought.


In short, it's one of those oops moments that leaves you red in the face as I was recently at a family gathering, when describing a person I know as Gregorious.


Gregorious

Definition

1. sex-like, relating to sex

What I meant to say was, gregarious.

Definition

1 a : tending to associate with others of one's kind : social b : marked by or indicating a liking for companionship : sociable c : of or relating to a social group.

Whoops! Luckily, no one but me caught the slip. At least I don't think they did.

So, what slips of the tongue or pen have you made lately?

3 comments:

Secretia said...

I was cooking and I asked my friend's husband "Would you like to taste mine?" She was in shock for a moment, he was too, then I realized what I said and we laughed it up. But he has a hungry look in his eye since then!

Secretia

Jenna Alexander said...

For some reason I can't type the word six right. It comes out sex. This sounds like a corny joke that I'm making up but it's not! I have to back up over X E all the time.

This used to happen with 'word count' - I'd leave out the O in count all the time - seriously.

It's like Beavis and Butthead have parked themselves in my brain and are having a good laugh.

Willsin Rowe said...

Most of mine are Freudian dives...I do them on purpose!