Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving



In the US, Thursday is Thanksgiving.  That means, if you're living like the majority, there has to be a huge dinner of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls and pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream, and after the meal, everybody crashes in front of the TV and takes a nap.  It's the American way.

In my family circle, we celebrate Thanksgiving with all the traditional foodstuffs and since we're spiritual folks, we even remember to give thanks before we gobble up the turkey.

My heart goes out to the people who don't have as much as we do.  Sometimes, it's easy to fall into a pit of despair, bemoaning all the things we need and don't have, and all the things we just wish we had because other people have them.  I try to remind my kids and grandkids what Thanksgiving is all about.  We give thanks for the things we have.  We live in a nice house.  We have all the modern conveniences, the fridge is full.  Sometimes we worry about bills, but we never have to wonder where our next meal is coming from.  So we are thankful.


I'm also thankful for friends, those in my daily lives and the ones on the internet.  Because, even though the net friends are miles away and I'll probably never get to share a real hug with them, they are wonderful.  They inspire me in so many ways.  That's the beauty of any friendship.

Virtual hugs all around and Happy Thanksgiving!





Photo credits:
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/jegrace/
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii109/luvlymama69/

3 comments:

Secretia said...

Well said, Sarah. That pilgrim on the right looks like an ancestor of Jay Leno.
You have a nice Thanksgiving!

Secretia

Sarah Levin Colter said...

Thanks, Secretia! The cartoons do look a lot like Jay Leno! A strong chin gives a man character. LOL! Happy Thanksgiving and lots of hugs.

judiebabie said...

Sarah,

I have so much love for you, and I mean it from the bottom of my heart! You are so sweet to me, words can't express. Extra big hugs to you my sweet!