Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Monday's Blog



My grandson is seven years old and has a behavior disorder.  He's a sweet kid, lovable and cuddly as any kid, but he has his days when it takes a supreme level of patience not to reinstate corporal punishment.  When I take him to the grocery store, he embarrasses me by running headlong through the aisles, sweeping items off shelves and causing mass chaos.  When he accompanies me to the doctor's office, he explores drawers and cabinets and finds all sorts of interesting 'treasures'.  The few times I've taken him to church ended in near disaster.

The only threat that seems to affect him is the loss of his video games - and I truly don't want to take those away since the only time I have for writing or reading is when he's busy playing his games.  Because of his behavior, I'm homeschooling him, so I don't get many breaks from his energy.  He chatters constantly and is always on the run.

I'm proud to say that he's wildly creative, although his muses are often dark and bloody.  He tells long, detailed stories with twisting, turning plots rivaled only by Stephen King or Dean Koontz.  I believe he's destined to be a writer, and I intend to do everything in my power to shape that talent as he grows.

I was like him as a child - well, not as out of control, but like him, I was interested in story-telling.  I was writing stories before I started to school.  I'm in my fifties, and since my very early childhood, all I've ever wanted to be was a writer.  I dreamed of getting my stories published, but because of extenuating circumstances at my parents' house, I married and had children very young, and never got my fiction published.  I wrote lots, mostly stuff I read to my kids when they were little, and a few of those tales ended up in funny magazines and newsletters, but until e-book publishing came about, my adult stories went unpublished.

I don't want my grandson to have to wait until he's in his fifties to get published, so I plan to support his creativity even if it inhibits my own.  He has potential, and even if he's the craziest 7-year-old in town, he deserves the chance I never really got.  It would be wonderful if I could glimpse into the future and see a bestseller with his name on the cover.

About my current fiction:  With the final approval of my awesome editor, Iris, the second story in my 'Mirror Twins' series is ready for publication.  It's called 'Mirror Twins 2: The Mask'.  Now that it's all done, I'll be working on 'Mirror Twins 3: The Stalker'.  I'm also working on my colorbox story for Torquere Press - it's like an arcana e-book with colors as the theme.  My color is burgundy.

I also have a short e-book on sale at Smashwords called 'Jonny's First Times', which is, like about seventy-five percent of my so-far published work, m/m erotica.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Jenna Alexander said...

You should try this with your grandson: When I put my son to bed I tell him a 'half story'

It's really just an opening scene to a story. I start with aliens, dragons, warriors, etc... whatever he wants. I set up the stroy and tell him he needs to think of the rest. He can't tell me the story until the morning.

It does two things: gets him to stay in bed and drive his imagination farther.

So much fun!!

Secretia said...

Sounds like you're doing very well, and it's nice you want to help the boy too.

Secretia

Rozlyn Sparks said...

Sounds like you have your hands full with the boy and the writing. But you know what, it's all worth it. Sounds like you are doing a top notch job too encouraging his creativity!