Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

Covers. What else?

We've been talking about covers for a while here now so I've decided to do a study on one of my pet peeves: I hate it when the cover doesn't fit what's in the story. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

It's silly, I know, especially for ebooks as it's not like the cover is something more than the first page of the document you've downloaded but still...it bugs me.


Case in point: take this story by Cherise Sinclair, Master of the Mountain.



Copyright: 2009 - Loose Id
Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed this book (you can go buy it there). But do you see the woman on the cover? She's got the arm circumference of Taylor Swift! (Sorry Taylor, love you too). The heroine is supposed to be full-figured. Hello???

See, it bugs me.


It's like reading a book in which the hero is blonde and looking at the cover to see a dark-haired Alpha smirking up at you. So all right, it does take a while to find a picture that fits (trust me, it usually takes me hours, except for Location, Location, Location) but isn't that the beauty of it?
You end up with a cover that's exactly what you were looking for, from the hero to the heroine to maybe a setting, position or object that features in the story.

And as readers, it's a great feeling when you stumble upon something in a story and you realize that's what the cover was all about. Maybe it even makes you feel as if you've established a link with that author.


Anyhow, all I'm saying is that please, publishers, take a little more time, have a little more patience, and find the perfect cover. The author will thank you, and so will the readers...

2 comments:

Jenna Alexander said...

You create fantastic covers !! They are very appropriate.

Rozlyn Sparks said...

I completely agree. I hate when the cover does not match the book!