Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Why oh why

I found myself having a discussion with my husband this week, in the car of all places, about m/m fiction.

I was trying to explain to him that it's one of the best seller genres right now and then I wondered out loud if maybe I shouldn't switch genres in order to become rich (joke!).

He had the idea that only men bought those books and was quite amazed when I said that actually, I was pretty sure mostly women bought them. That's me guessing however so anyone with more concrete info (Sarah?), pls have at it!

Next issue was: why? Why do women buy m/m fiction? I have a feeling it's like for men...they like (read, fantasize!) about woman on woman so why wouldn't it be the same for women? Man on man = hot! Does that make sense? Or have I got it completely wrong?

I'm quite happy to be wrong! I'd just like to know your thoughts about this. If you read m/m books, is there a particular reason why you pick them?

I've always thought m/m authors (slash in the fanfic world) are better writers so maybe that's also a reason.

Em x

PS: I will be on vacation in the UK for the next two weeks and unable to post blogs. But don't worry...we'll have guest bloggers!

PPS: Here's a cool contest people might like to enter. Love the theme although 400 words is too short! (for me but that's because I ramble...what? you'd never noticed that before? really??)


2 comments:

Secretia said...

You deserve a nice vacation! Have fun, don't go broke. Make love in a strange bed!

Secretia

Rozlyn Sparks said...

I'm not sure about the whole m/m thing. For me, personally, it's not a genre I like. I like to read and write about M/F sex. Maybe even, two guys and a woman, but just M/M. It holds no real interest to me.

I'm interested to see what others say because you are so right. It's a HOT market.