Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

What gets your muse going?

I wanted to write something good this week, but sadly the muse wasn't talking to me. Well, that and the fact that it has been a bit hectic at work.

So instead you get to hear my random thoughts about getting the muse working.

I know you all know what I am talking about. Sometimes the words just don't flow. Maybe you wrote yourself into a corner. (I hate when that happens.) Maybe the story took a boring turn for a moment. (Hey, they can't be all action packed scenes.)Maybe your brain is just fried and you can't think of the next word to write.

Whatever the reason, you are left staring at the blank screen.

C'mon we've all been there.

What do you do?

For me? I find that music helps immensely when I am stuck.



Sometimes I will sit at my computer with my eyes closed, just listening.

Music tells stories, evokes feelings, and can spark that missing bit of inspiration needed to write. Does it always work...No. But at the very least it helps stop me from pathetically staring at the screen and scratching my head.

So tell me, what gets your muse going? What activities do you like to do when you can't seem to figure out what to write?


6 comments:

Secretia said...

Tak a nice walk or bicycle ride.

Emma Hillman said...

Sometimes I don't push it, sometimes I just start a new story. *grins*

Yeah, I know I probably shouldn't considering the number I have on hold but still...writing on one usually inspires me for others.

And once I start writing, I can't stop so I guess it does work. For me, at least!

Captain Dumbass said...

All my best ideas come early in the morning while I'm in the shower. If only I could find a white board I could put up in there and a lot bigger hot water tank.

Jenna Alexander said...

Captain - I have heard of someone who hung a white board on the wall outside her shower. You'll be all pruney but produce some great stories. You could also switched to baths - see if that helps. :-)

To get my muse going I sometimes reread the story I am working on. For me I can get super focused on a sentence or the flow of a scene that I forget the feel of the whole piece. So it helps to take a step back.

Jenna

Sarah Colter said...

Sorry I'm so late to the table! Yesterday was a monster.

Sometimes, inspiration doesn't come easy, and other times it doesn't come at all. I've tried to jump-start my muses by following a certain set of steps that occasionally work for me.

Coffee beside me
Ass in chair
Fingers on keyboard
Picture hot characters doing hot things.
Stare at the screen with cow eyes a while.

Then I click onto my Facebook and play Farmville for half an hour. Then I try again.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. LOL!

Ryan said...

I have a number of things that I use to try and summon my muse.

take a bath
meditate (and write a blog post afterword)
listen to music
type what I wrote previously (I hand write)
read what I've already written

Ninety-nine percent of the time what gets my muse going is just setting down to write. If I don't do that the muse isn't going to come regardless of what I do.