Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

Juggling between genres



I write romance and erotica and I've always thought the two went well together. Except that now, I find myself writing a romance novel and wondering if maybe there isn't too much sex in it. Or I write an erotica novella and I'm wondering whether there shouldn't be more emotions or drama flying around, rather than only them having sex (of course there isn't only sex happening but you know what I mean!).


So maybe I'm overcomplicating things but writing two genres feels a bit like juggling. I know I'm not making things easier by working on several manuscripts at once but I like having so much variety.


It probably doesn't help that I don't do plots, therefore if a sudden idea pops into my head and I write a sex scene, I'm entirely to blame. Or rather, my characters are to blame!


Do you write several genres and if yes, do you find it difficult to switch from one to the other?

5 comments:

Secretia said...

It's just fine, anyway. You write things people like to read!

Jenna Alexander said...

I probably am not a good person to ask since I haven't finished anything in a while. Currently I have a couple erotica stories started, one paranormal romance, chick lit, and a silly fairy tale thing. I like to bounce between them depending on what my mood is.

To me it is easier to pick up the story that 'fits' at that moment in time instead of forcing myself to work on just one idea or genre.

~ Jenna

staceyjwarner said...

Wow, I'm impressed, I'd be nuts writing two differen genres and several manuscripts. You go girl!

I write one and one...LOL!

Have a great weekend.

Advizor said...

it's a funny problem to have. I am writing for two distinct audiences as well, and frequently find myself chatting through GoogleChat with real life and blogger friends at the same time.

I have to keep them separate, but it's almost easy to ask my real life friends, "So, do you really like anal or what?"

for me, it's part of the process to focus on my audience and get in the right mindset before I even turn on the computer.

Rozlyn Sparks said...

I can definitely understand. I've tried my hand at Urban Fantasy and it felt odd not writing a real sex scene.

You are awesome to be able to do it, even if you struggle sometimes.

Oh and like you I am a pantser. Meaning I write by the seat of my pants, no plotting in advance.