Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Being creative regardless

The creative process doesn't always come easy, especially during the allergy season. We, as writers, find it hard to accept our own shortcomings - when the muses used to dance so effortlessly for us when we were writing fan fiction or just writing for the fun of it. Once you're a published author and you're expected to turn out interesting erotica, mystery, horror or fantasy/sci-fi fiction, it seems to get harder. Creating becomes a job instead of a hobby and the muses' Irish jig slow to a waltz.

This past week, on several occasions, I found myself staring into space. God knows I tried, but the muses just wouldn't cooperate. The combination of a rowdy grandchild, a monster sinus infection and the many daily obligations caused me to feel overwhelmed when I should've just been happy that I had things to do. One thing I can definitely say is that I don't have time to get bored.

I'm holding onto the hopes that the next few days will be more productive. I'm going to make a serious effort and do all the things it takes to get me jump-started and writing on my current stories, which are Mirror Twins 3 and the colorbox story for Torquere Press. Emma and I both got good reviews on e-books this week, which is inspiring!

Life is crazy - not just for writers, but for most adult humans. As we grow older, we start to realize that there's never going to be enough time to do all the things we want to do, and we begin to prioritize. For me, because I don't have a choice in the matter, writing is a top priority. So I will find the time, one way or another.

8 comments:

Secretia Teller said...

It's still nice to see that you are gaining followers isn't it? Your fans want you, it's obvious. You guys will be fine.

Secretia

Emma Hillman said...

Go us! :)

The good thing with a muse is that it always comes back. It might take a while but it'll be there when you need it one day. *hugs*

Rozlyn Sparks said...

Sometimes you can tempt the muse back with music or reading. Sometimes, when I feel completely devoid of ideas, I just sit down at my computer and go searching for songs on Youtube.

You are so right though. There is never enough time to get everything done.

*hugs*

Sarah Colter said...

The muses never really leave. They simply take naps. LOL! They're back today in plenty, so while they're two-stepping, I'm going to try to get some writing done! Thanks, Secretia, Emma and Roz! Hugs all around!

Jenna Alexander said...

My sanity is hanging from a very tiny thread these days so I am just happy with getting laundry done and food on the table (or at least on a paper plate in front of the TV)

:-)

Hopefully some writing will happen in between.

Sarah Colter said...

I'm there with you, Jenna. I hope you get some writing done!

Honey Bunny said...

Sarah,

I want to read those books, so let's get the party started and write my books!

Sarah Colter said...

Thank you, Judie! I've been working on Mirror Twins 3 today! Yaay! :) Big hugs!